DEADLINE TO GIVE: Dec 31, 2016
Welcome to Freecember 2016, Acter!
(not a misspelling; Acter (n.): one who takes action!)
As you may know, there are millions of people trafficked and trapped in slavery today... but what can we do about it? Freecember exists to prompt questions, start conversations and raise awareness, money and widespread informed sustained everyday (W.I.S.E.) action to stop modern slavery / human trafficking.
This year were going for 2,000 Miles & $3,000 - We won't make it without you!
- To give, click the orange "Donate" button up there to the right.
- To join a team, click on a team below, then click on the the dark grey "Fundraise for this Campaign" on the challenge/team page.
- To start a new team (& pick your fav charity), click the dark grey "Set Up" button up there. Then, click "Start Your Own Fundraiser."
You can pledge miles or money toward the goal. Dedicate a run or runs. Set a goal. Invite some friends. #EveryMileMatters #RunFree #take1step to #stopslavery #howfarwouldyougo?
a) Start or Join a team & Pledge a distance toward the 2,000 Miles (miles or km)
b) Ask 1 person to sponsor you per mile (or km) OR set a fundraising goal and invite a whole bunch of people to help you reach it.
One day I hope we can move a million miles for freedom. Together.
You can choose orgs like ...
Not For Sale, IJM, Free The Slaves, Love146, Polaris Project, A21, World Vision, Saving Innocence, iSanctuary, iEmpathize, Sudara, or any org you know and love. (If you'd like to give a plug for your fav org, head on over to the Freecember facebook page or tweet, pin, gram, snap and hashtag away. We're mostly @freecember)
If you don't already have a fav, to keep it simple for 2016, we recommend donating to IJM (ijm.org) or joining the 100 Mile Challenge for IJM. Just click that orange "Donate" button right up there and select "100 Mile Challenge" from the drop down list.
(In 2015, we recommended donating to Not For Sale (notforsalecampaign.org). They're a great option, too!)
A few guidelines -
1) if you set up a fundraiser or a team, the org you choose has to focus or have specific initiatives which focus primarily on preventing slavery (human trafficking), rescuing victims or restoring survivors.
2) if possible, select an activity: walk, run, bike, swim, row, hike, trek, stop slapshots ... a certain level of effort over time is suggested. (Okay, if you're having a party, like a purple elephant party or an office party, and want to take donations for your Freecember team, you can. Throwing (and sometimes going to) parties takes effort, too. And hey, if you want to crochet 100 skeins or something, then by all means...)
3) find some purple, violet, indigo, or lavender ribbon (we couldn't find our ultraviolet ribbon anywhere!), loop it so that it's "upside down," and, being careful not to stick yourself, pin it to whatever you're wearing as you go through your days this Freecember. (Or draw a ribbon on your hand, headband, wristband, etc. We're flexible.)
4) when people notice your ribbon or tell you it's upside down, say something like "Oh, thanks for noticing. It's to raise action to stop modern slavery. Did you know there are millions of people enslaved worldwide today?" And then see where the conversation takes you.
Then ask Questions, have Conversations & take Informed Action.
People enslave people. People free people.
No one can do everything, but everyone can do something.
What could you do to stop slavery?
How far would you go?
#take1step to #stopslavery