DEADLINE TO GIVE: Dec 31, 2015
Welcome to Freecember 1.0, Acter!
(not a misspelling; we're pretty sure we just invented a word: Acter (n.): one who takes action!)
As you may know, there are millions of people trafficked and trapped in slavery today... but what can we do about it? Freecember exists to prompt questions, start conversations and raise awareness, money and widespread informed sustained everyday (W.I.S.E.) action to stop modern slavery / human trafficking.
Some of us are going for the 100 Mile Challnge to walk/run/bike 100 miles during Freecember. Could you or a team you gather go 30, 60 or 100 miles? Or is there another challenge you'd like to take?
- To give, click the orange "Donate" button up there to the right.
- To join a team, click on a team below, then click on the the dark grey "Fundraise for this Campaign" on the challenge/team page.
- To start a new team (& pick your fav charity), click the dark grey "Set Up" button up there. Then, click "Start Your Own Fundraiser."
You can choose orgs like ...
Not For Sale, IJM, Free The Slaves, Love146, Polaris Project, A21, World Vision, Saving Innocence, iSanctuary, iEmpathize, Sudara, or any org you know and love. (If you'd like to give a plug for your fav org, head on over to the Freecember facebook page or tweet, pin, gram and hashtag away.)
If you don't already have a fav, to keep it simple for 2015, we're recommending you donate to Not For Sale (notforsalecampaign.org) or join the 100 Mile Challenge for Not For Sale. Just click that orange "Donate" button right up there and select "100 Mile Challenge" from the drop down list.
This is only the second run of the initiative, Freecember 1.0, and then next year it would get bigger; and then by year four, it would blow up and get huge (but stay organic) and be raising cranking loads of awareness, informed action and money to help people avoid, escape and be restored following enslavement. Maybe by 2017 or 18 we could be going a million miles to wipe out slavery.
A few guidelines -
1) if you set up a fundraiser or a team, the org you choose has to focus or have specific initiatives which focus primarily on preventing slavery (human trafficking), rescuing victims or restoring survivors.
2) if possible, select a self-propelled mode of travel: walk, run, bike, swim, row, hike, trek ... a certain level of effort over time is suggested. (Okay, if you're having a party, like a purple elephant party or an office party, and want to take donations for your Freecember team, you can. Throwing (and sometimes going to) parties takes effort, too. And hey, if you want to crochet 100 skeens or something, then by all means...)
3) find some purple, violet, indigo, or lavender ribbon (we couldn't find our ultraviolet ribbon anywhere!), loop it so that it's "upside down," and, being careful not to stick yourself, pin it to whatever you're wearing as you go through your days this Freecember. (Or draw a ribbon on your hand, headband, wristband, etc. We're flexible.)
4) when people notice your ribbon or tell you it's upside down, say something like "Oh, thanks for noticing. It's to raise action to stop modern slavery. Did you know there are millions of people enslaved worldwide today?" And then see where the conversation takes you.
Then ask Questions, have Conversations & take informed Action.
People enslave people. People free people.
No one can do everything, but everyone can do something.
How far would you go to stop slavery?