Norte! is Traverse City's bike-centric, youth-focused advocacy organization dedicated to developing the next generation of active, happy, bikes-for-life leaders in TC.
We’re dreaming big to make walking and biking to school the new normal in Traverse City but we need your help to make it happen.
100% of funds raised will go to support our Safe Routes To School programs to empower more active, happy and ready-to-learn kids in Traverse City.
We are honored to administer many awesome Safe Routes To School programs in partnership with Traverse City Area Public Schools and other neighborhood schools in Traverse City. What began as our co-founders inviting a couple neighborhood kids to pedal to school with them has grown into a comprehensive, community-wide project.
Our programs are dedicated to empowering elementary and middle school students to actively transport themselves to school as well as to grow walk/bike culture at our partner schools.
The benefits of walking and biking to school are many:
- better concentration in class
- less traffic congestion near schools
- improved cognitive abilities
- stronger sense of community
- more exercise, less obesity
- safer streets: communities with the higher walk/bike rates have lower crash rates for all travel modes
- a distraction-free time to connect with families and classmates
- less air pollutants from automobiles
Our Safe Routes To School Programs:
- Fridays Fantástico: A weekly celebration of students walking, biking and rolling to school.
- The Great Traverse City Bike Train Experiment: A community-wide network of adult led bike train connecting Traverse City neighborhoods to neighborhood schools.
- Winter Walk Wednesdays: A #StepItUp inspired celebration of people – big or small – walking to work, school or just for FUN! in Traverse City.
- Drive2Stroll: For those students who attend a school of choice or live too far away from their home school. Drive. Park. Walk 5 minutes to school. Easy.
- Bike2Bus: Portable bike racks at neighborhood bus stops and mapping of safe routes to these racks to encourage “biking to bus”.
- The Bike Mas Project: An adventure-based after school empowerment program for upper elementary students.
- El Barrio Bike Fix: A learn-to-wrench after school program for upper elementary students.
- Estrellas: A learn-to-ride program for preschoolers using balance bikes.
- Norte! Bike Library: Ensuring that awesome kids have awesome bikes to pedal to school no matter their family’s resources.
Our Safe Routes To School Events:
- Traverse City Bikes To School Day
- Traverse City Walks To School Day
- Winter Bike To Work and School Day
- TC Safe Routes To School Champion Awards
- The Bike Mas Project: A Summer Camp
- Central Grade
- Cherry Knoll
- Eastern Elementary
- East Middle
- TCAPS Montessori
- Traverse Heights Elementary
- West Middle
- Willow Hill
- Westwoods Elementary
With your support, Norte! will:
- invest in bike tools, parts and supplies for El Barrio Bike Fix, our after school learn-to-wrench program.
- grow The Bike Mas Project, our adventure-based after school empowerment program that teaches bike safety, to more TC schools.
- purchase more balance bikes for the Estrellas del Norte!, our learn-to-ride program.
- grow our Kids Bike Library to make sure that every awesome kid can ride an awesome bike no matter their family’s financial resources.
- purchase helmets, lights and bells to ensure our seen, heard and safe on the way to school.
Bike Happy. Bike Más. Bike To School in TC.