Let's over-deliver for girls' sports!
My mistake was setting a fundraising goal based on what I thought I could do in terms of outreach, awareness building, and asking for support.
I should have set a goal based on the generosity that would be unleashed for the cause of empowering girls through sports.
Thanks to gifts from nearly everyone I asked - and some who found out and gave even before I did - I hit my fundraising goal three months ahead of race day. But why stop now?
Somewhere out there is a young woman very much like you, your daughter, your niece. But times are tight for her family. A lost job, scaled back hours, and they've dropped decidedly into low-income status. They may even face homelessness for a time.
She'd love to be active, to play sports and engage in physical activities with her friends. And her family would love for her to. Lately, however, they could only say, "We're so sorry, honey. Maybe next year."
But thanks to Dream Big! and generous donors like you, they're saying, "Go for it!"
Dream Big! provides girls from low-income and homeless situations with the equipment, uniforms, athletic footwear, program fees, training expenses, sports opportunities, and supplies they need to participate in sports and physical activities that contribute to their health, education and overall well-being.
Over the past four years Dream Big! has had a direct impact on more than 15,000 girls through equipment donations, program scholarships, sports clinics and the Dream Big! Leadership Conferences for middle and high school girls.
Here are some of the ways Dream Big! will put your donation to work:
- For an aspiring runner or soccer player, $50 buys a new pair of sneakers or cleats.
- She loves to dance. She wants to get fit. $100 pays tuition for her 8-week dance or fitness class.
- For a girl who has been eying the fun, freedom, and fitness of cycling, but whose Craigslist junker has only disappointed, $200 buys a new bike and helmet.
- For a girl who has already caught the sport bug, and wants to take her game to the next level, $500 pays for her to attend a week-long summer sports camp.
- For a group of girls ready to challenge each other, work together, and strive as one, $1,000 pays for new uniforms, equipment, and training for an entire sports team.
I love it when my 7 year old looks at me with love in her eyes. But I really love it when I see her look of determination, grit, joy, and power when she is running towards a finish line, or when another girl or boy (or two or three) stand between her and a soccer goal. I know I would never let anything stand in the way of her playing sports, and I am honored to be part of the Dream Big! Boston Marathon Team, running in April 2016 to help remove barriers for other girls to do the same.
Thank you for your support of Dream Big!
To learn more about Dream Big!, visit: http://www.dream-big.org/
And to follow my occasional musings on girls sports and marathon training, my blog: http://StefanForDreamBig.blogspot.com/