GREAT FUTURES START HERE.
The Charlestown Boys & Girls Club Marathon Team will support the Club’s proven and critical youth development programs. The “Club” has been serving the Charlestown community since 1893.
Training for a marathon for months, then running 26.2 miles, is a difficult and daunting challenge.
Being a kid these days is difficult, being a teen is daunting..
Being a young person in the city, making positive choices in a negative environment, is a challenge.
So we run for them.
The Charlestown Club serves over 535 diverse youth ages 6-18 on a regular basis, with 250-275 attending daily. 29% of our kids are from families with less than $13,000 annual household income; 27% from the $13,000-27,000 range; and 16% from families above $43,000. Our members are exceptionally diverse, socioeconomically and culturally. Only 36% of our members live with both parents. Our daily focus is on developing positive self-identity and key skills.
The Boys & Girls Clubs of America completed a Three-Year Longitudinal Study that demonstrates the very real impact Clubs have. This study was professionally administered and found that kids who attend Boys & Girls Clubs experience increased Academic Confidence, School Effort, Future Plans, and Knowledge of Right vs. Wrong. They also experienced decreased Skipping of School, Associating with Negative Peers, Aggressive Behavior, Early Pregnancies, and Contact with Weapons, Alcohol, Smoking, or Drugs.
- 100% of 70 parents surveyed said “The Club has a positive impact on my child”.
- Members feel considerably safer at the Club than they do at school, in their neighborhood, or on public transportation.
- 99% of members report that “Club Staff Care About Me”; for 15-18 year-olds the response was 100%.
- 96% of members “Plan to Go to College”; 100% of 15-18 year-olds “Expect to Graduate from High School”.
- 93% of members replied Always True, 7% Sometimes True and 0% Never to the statement “It is Important for Me to Stay in School”.
- 50 members in grades 1-4 enrolled in a core literacy program with partner Generations Incorporated. Pre- and post-Basic Reading Inventory testing showed an average improvement of 1.63. The percent of students on or above grade level advanced from 37% pre-tutoring to 89% post-tutoring.
- 90% say “The Club Has Helped Me Get Along With People Who Are Different From Me”.
- 97% of 10-11 year-olds “like Meeting and Getting to Know People of Other Races”.
- 39,561 Free nutritious meals and 34,040 healthy snacks were served in a 12-month period.
Running a marathon is no easy feat.
Being a kid in urban Boston is not easy.
So we run for them.
To Donate, click on your runner on The Team below, or click on the Donate buton above. To make an offline donation, send a check to the Charlestown Boys & Girls Clubs, 15 Green Street, Charlestown, MA 02129. Please note "Marathon" and the runner's name (or team) in the memo line.