BONUS CHALLENGE #2
April 26, 2017
Cape Assist is a 501 (C)(3) nonprofit agency that has been serving the communities for over 30 years with the goal to build a healthier community by preventing and treating substance abuse and related issues. Through the OceanFirst CrowdRise Challenge, we have the opportunity to earn additional money to fund an expansion of our current location to better accommodate the growing needs of our youth and family programs. The new space will be a place where children can grow and families can seek help.
A PLACE FOR FAMILIES
With statistics of substance abuse increasing every year…the amount of “at risk families” in Cape May County continues to rise. The best way to lower these statistics is to help strengthen and educate families in prevention and early intervention.
“Every dollar spent on prevention programs saves up to $18 in reduced societal costs” *
Cape Assist works with the community, families, faith-based organizations, government agencies and other community groups and coalitions in Cape May County. However, in Cape Assist’s current location, the building is not large enough to accommodate the growing needs of families and community groups.
A PLACE FOR LEARNING
• Expand the CARE afterschool program to 4 or 5 days a week for children Kindergarten through 3rd Grade
• Reach more “at risk” families through the Strengthening Family program for parents and children 6yrs - 12yrs
• Enhance the stress management and personal balance management classes for those 18yrs and older
• Help those 55+ and seniors take control of their health through the WISE program
• Provide a meeting place for support groups and the community like People
of Purpose, Municipal Alliance, and Healthy Community Coalition
• Present a library of resources that the community can access and use like Internet, videos, books and phones.
• Hold professional development classes for certified prevention specialist and continuing education
• Offer classes for teen education
• Host community events and tradeshows
• Initiate a weekly walking club
• Grow a community garden
A PLACE FOR THE COMMUNITY
The new Center will be a place where children can learn life skills, families can find out about the latest preventative techniques and how to cope with societal pressures. Professionals can teach family strengthening strategies and the community can share their successes and initiate community based programs and events. It will be a community meeting space, a place for those with similar missions to come together for training, planning and forming new alliances and coalitions.
A PLACE FOR EVERYONE
Please come aboard as we weather the storm of substance use disorder. Join us as we bring the community together; steer families in the right direction and show them how to navigate the rough waters and set a new course to healthy living and success.
The Community Center will be a safe harbor. A place for families and community groups to meet, share and learn how to sail smoothly into the future.
*Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration Center for Substance Abuse Prevention