BENEFITING: Bay Area
ORGANIZER: Bay Area
EVENT DATE: Apr 01, 2017
Last year, my friends Hemal and Christian encouraged me to join iMentor here in San Francisco. The program was wildly successful in New York (where they were founded in 1999) as well as in Chicago, and they were launching here in the Bay Area last year as their third location. I've been a participant in mentorship programs before, both as a mentee and as a mentor, but I quickly realized that iMentor used a unique approach (we communicate with our mentees weekly and meet in person monthly).
Now that I've been in the program for nearly an entire school year, I can attest to it being far more effective than other similar programs I've tried, so I'd like to get more deeply invested for next year. And the data proves that it's incredibly effective as a tool to get students from underrepresented school districts to not just attend college but to be successful there:
- 16% of our students are more likely to go to college than peers from similar schools
- 72% of our students will be first generation college students
- 100% of school partners report that iMentor has a positive impact on school culture
I'm seeking to raise $1,000 for iMentor this week, and I'd love your help. If we can reach our goal, I'll happily match with another $1,000 of my own.
**additional detail on the program below**
At iMentor, we believe in the power of long-term, personal relationships to help students succeed. This year, iMentor launched its Bay Area region, where we are helping 270 students. Please join us in building the momentum to help more students.
The iMentor Challenge is our chance to do just that. With this campaign, we are sharing our stories and inspiration for supporting iMentor. We hope that by sharing our stories and inspiration, more people will become involved and build the momentum to impact more kids.
It costs iMentor's programming team about $1,000 to provide one mentor-mentee pair with access to iMentor’s proven college success curriculum and resources. Here is what your support can do for the Bay Area’s students:
- $25 allows a mentee to attend a year of iMentor events
- $100 supplies a mentee with a year's access to monthly career and college preparation events
- $500 provides a college application event for an entire Junior class
- $1,000 supports the mentorship of one student as they work one-on-one with their mentor toward academic and personal success
Please support iMentor Bay Area by donating to one of our iMentor Challenge participants!