The Georgia Chapter of the Association for Women in Science (AWIS) is a non-profit 501(c)(3) that champions the interests of women in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) across all disciplines, socio-economic strata, and occupational focus.
Working for positive systemic transformation, we exist to ensure that all women in these fields can achieve their full potential through the following goals:
(1) Fair compensation without discrimination.
(2) Equitable advancement without bias.
(3) Exposure to successful role models in leadership positions.
(4) Recognition and respect for scientific and leadership achievements.
The Georgia Chapter operates for charitable and educational purposes only, to advance the vision of the national AWIS enterprise through the following mechanisms:
- Promote academic achievement and professional development by creating opportunities for formal presentation and the exchange of ideas.
- Foster a diverse and inclusive community through mentoring and networking forums.
- Contribute to work/life integration with a supportive environment and resource provisions.
- Engage individuals with the greater scientific and local communities through outreach programming.
- Train members in methods for approaching advocacy and public policy on current issues regarding women in STEM.