BENEFITING: AUTISM SPEAKS
ORGANIZER: Autism Speaks
EVENT: 2016 Boston Marathon
EVENT DATE: Apr 18, 2016
We've officially launched our fundraising efforts for our last leg of the Abbott World Marathon Majors--the Boston Marathon!
The Abbott World Marathon Majors is a series consisting of six of the largest and most renowned marathons in the world. As of this writing, only 3 Americans and 18 others in the world have ever run all six consecutively. I want to be #4!
* On April 26th, 2015 I ran 26.2 miles in the London Marathon for TeamUp! with Autism Speaks and bagged a time of 3:55:02. Yes!
* On September 27th I ran the Berlin Marathon for TeamUp! in 3:52:53. PR!
* Two weeks later on October 11th I ran the Chicago Marathon for TeamUp! in 3:56:22. That was a tough run, but I'll take it!
* Three weeks later on November 1st I ran the New York City Marathon for TeamUp! in 3:46:11. A great run and a new PR!
* On February 28th I ran the Tokyo Marathon for TeamUp! in 3:54:56. My sub-4:00:00 streak still intact!
We raised $35,000 across the first five marathons and are wanted to make one last effort with our Boston campaign in finishing our adventure. Our fundraising efforts for Autism Speaks have been personal to my family and a huge success. The funds raised are, of course, in addition to the tremendous support and encouragement everyone gave along the way. It was a massive help and on behalf of Owen (who has been in great hands at his residential home with the New England Center for Children for over a year already and is doing great), we can’t thank you enough for being a part of that. That is how we have helped make a difference!
Each year TeamUp!, the sports and activities fundraising arm of Autism Speaks, sponsors hundreds of events involving thousands of people, raising millions of dollars. I had such an amazing experience training for the London Marathon that I decided to continue my involvement with them.
My running coach Harold says, “If you don’t push your limits, you set your limits.” So what’s next?
Using London as a starting point, I’m trying to consecutively run all six of the World Marathon Majors as follows:
• London - 4.26.15 – Done!
• Berlin - 9.27.15 – Done!
• Chicago - 10.11.15 – Done!
• New York - 11.1.15 – Done!
• Tokyo - 2.28.16 - Done!
• Boston - 4.18.16 - Set to go!
I’ll run with TeamUp! with Autism Speaks. We’ll give updates along the way as we head into the home stretch in Boston!
Thanks again for all your support and encouragement and for helping make a difference.
With continued gratitude,
Chris and Owen Beck
PS: You can follow our progress on Twitter! @irunforowen
To learn more about Autism Speaks visit www.AutismSpeaks.org
To learn more about the World Marathon Majors visit www.worldmarathonmajors.com