Fundraising for Fibromyalgia Research for Integrative Treatment Options!
April 21, 2016
EVENT: Together Walk | Virtual
Be part of something bigger. Grab a pair of walking shoes, roll up your sleeves, and meet others who want to make a difference. It’s time to make fibromyalgia visible in your community!
The National Fibromyalgia & Chronic Pain Association is joining forces with people like you across the U.S. to launch TOGETHER WALKS in 2016 to raise fibromyalgia awareness and research funding. Passionate Leaders have already taken the lead for 2016 in Richmond, Portland, Coral Springs, Louisville, and a Virtual Online Walk.
We’ve organized a virtual Together Walk so you can form teams online, or with whomever you want to connect, even while you are at home. Everyone can participate regardless of their health status or ability to travel to specific locations. Your voice matters in changing how fibromyalgia is perceived, treated, and researched.
Fibromyalgia is a life-altering condition affecting 2-4% of women, men and children of all backgrounds worldwide to suffer. (That’s 10 million Americans alone.) The illness can strike suddenly or occur as a gradual increase in symptoms, indicating changes in the central nervous system (neuroplasticity). Sensory information (such as light, sound, and touch) becomes amplified by the CNS, causing the brain to respond with increasing pain and symptoms. FM severity waxes and wanes; often increases over time; and may become disabling.
Through research/innovation seed funding raised at Together Walks, new exploration in areas such as small fiber neuropathy, cervical cord compression, and myofascial release may bring promising new treatments.
What is the Virtual Together Walk? It is pretty simple. Follow these easy steps to participate:
1. Register by clicking the Join Button.
2. You can choose to Join My Team (Arkansas Strong), Start your own team, Fundraise as an individual, or just Donate under another person's name. ALL the money raised goes to the NFMCPA for research.
3. Join my Team for Arkansas peeps Or choose to participate on your own, knowing you are part of something bigger! You make a difference!
4. You will receive a link to order the official Together Walk T-shirt soon.
5. Choose your distance: you may walk around the block, do a 1K walk at the local mall, or even try a longer walk or run around your neighborhood. Do what you can. There is no distance too short. Be creative if you are unable to walk.
6. Strolling, walking, or running is best scheduled during the week of Fibromyalgia Awareness Day (May 12).
7. Take a photo of you and your team with a “Together we make a difference” sign and share it with the hashtag #togetherwalks on social media and tag us @togetherwalks and on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook and YouTube. Use your imagination – your voice matters!
Also tag @arkansasfibroand pain
This is an opportunity for people with fibromyalgia to have an action-oriented, healthy event for their friends, family, neighbors and healthcare providers to support them in a positive and uplifting way. These walks are foundational for the NFMCPA to continue strengthening its four tenets: increase of support, awareness, education and research globally.
As a participant, you will have access to educational materials about fibromyalgia and enjoy live-streaming of presentations from medical professionals with expertise in fibromyalgia and pain disorders at other Together Walks across the nation.
The NFMCPA thanks you for your continuing support and looks forward to walking with you.
Can you imagine what can be done together when there is a walk in every state and across the globe? If you are interested in hosting a Together Walk in 2017, please contact the NFMCPA at email@example.com.
For more information on the NFMCPA, please visit fmcpaware.org