BENEFITING: Robin Hood
ORGANIZER: Robin Hood
EVENT DATE: Nov 06, 2016
D.E. Shaw Group Team
Robin Hood: End poverty. Start here in NYC.
- More than 1.8 million people in New York City live below the poverty line.
- …This is greater than the populations of Boston, Las Vegas and Atlanta combined! Said another way, if New York City’s poor were its own city, it would be the 5th largest city in the country.
- Tonight 60,000 New Yorkers will sleep in shelters; 24,000 of them are children.
- 50% of New York City children living in poverty won’t graduate on time.
- 1 in 3 children in New York City lives in poverty.
- Over 1.4 million New Yorkers – 1 in 6 – rely on emergency food every day.
- In New York City, 45,000 households enter eviction proceedings each year.
- 200,000 New Yorkers looked for a job today, but did not find one.
- $50 covers the daily wage of a homeless man to join a work crew that prepares him for full-time employment.
- $75 feeds a family of three for a week.
- $100 provides one night of safe shelter for a family.
- $160 provides one week of nurse visits to a low-income mother and her newborn.
- $200 connects a senior to food stamps.
- $250 buys a toolkit for a woman to use in her first construction job.
- $450 pays for a seasoned counselor to help immigrant students prepare for college and access available scholarships and tuition support.
- $750 provides a street-involved youth with a safe place to sleep, eat, shower, do laundry, and receive counseling.
- $1,000 provides regular asthma treatment to a child, so they have fewer sick days from school.
- 100% Charity. At Robin Hood, the board pays administrative expenses, so every penny of donations goes directly to programs helping New Yorkers in need.
- Return. Robin Hood’s grants deliver on average a 12:1 return on every dollar invested; so a $1,000 donation yields $12,000 worth of benefits for New Yorkers in need.
- Leverage. Gifts are supercharged with management and technical assistance from Robin Hood’s experts and from pro-bono consultants of top commercial firms.
- Evaluation. We establish performance indicators and then hire independent evaluators to judge the results.