The ability to read and write can truly make a difference in a child's social, economic and personal development. In India, an estimated 100 million children are illiterate. Without intervention, these children are left with little opportunity and will be destined to a life of poverty.
Donate $25 and you can educate a child for an entire year. Over 90% of every dollar donated to Pratham goes directly to programs, so your contribution will make a real, lasting difference.
Founded in 1995 to ensure that every child is in school and learning well, Pratham is now one of the largest non-governmental organizations in India's education sector. Pratham uses low-cost, scalable methods and works in partnership with government and community stakeholders to provide quality education to underprivileged children in urban and rural communities across 20 of India's 29 states. In the 2013-14 year, Pratham reached almost 5 million children!
Pratham's approach is to:
- design low-cost content and pedagogical models that can be easily integrated by teachers to engage children
- build a collaborative culture with a network of volunteers, teachers and community stakeholders
- scale up programs through partnerships with state and district governments to reach a large percentage of India’s 100 million illiterate children
- track gaps in children's learning to monitor the impact of our programs
Further, we conduct the largest survey of children’s learning levels in India through our Annual State of Education Report, a review cited by education policymakers and replicated by education entities throughout Asia and Africa.
In this manner, Pratham is able to maximize its impact; in our twenty-year history, we’ve reached more than 33 million children across the country.
WHAT OTHERS ARE SAYING ABOUT PRATHAM
- MIT’s Poverty Action Lab has evaluated the effectiveness of Pratham programs for over a decade. Read their findings.
- PBS NewsHour highlighted Pratham on its Agents of Change segment. Watch the video.
- GiveWell identified Pratham USA as one of six "standout" organizations in its list of top charities, and Charity Navigator placed Pratham USA among the top 1% of all non-profits, awarding Pratham four out of four stars for four consecutive years.
- Pratham co-founder and CEO Dr. Madhav Chavan was named a 2014 Asia Game Changer for giving the gift of literacy to millions of children. In addition, he was the recipient of the (BBVA) Foundation Frontiers of Knowledge Award for nearly two decades of successfully catering to the learning needs of children!
- In a six-part series in The Stanford Social Innovation Review, Kim Jonkers and William Meehan commend Pratham for its dedicated use of Randomized Control Trials, which they consider to be the "gold standard" for evaluating a social intervention's effectiveness.
-Pratham was recognized by the US-India Business Council as one of its two charities of choice for 2014, and Pratham's Annual Status of Education report was shortlisted as one of ten finalists for the OECD Development Assistance Committee (DAC) 2014 prize for taking innovation to scale.