PAINT JAMAICA: An Incredible Art Intervention!
Organized by: DIY SKATE PARK JA
HELP US LAUNCH THE FIRST INCREDIBLE ART INTERVENTION IN DOWNTOWN KINGSTON, JAMAICA
PAINT JAMAICA is about CHANGING & REVOLUTIONIZING the relationship between ART, TALENT and SOCIETY.
HOW? By painting MURALS WITH A MESSAGE in downtown KINGSTON. "There's no peace inna war, they don't know what they are fighting for"
WHY? What we see everyday influences how we think and what we believe. We need to bring more INSPIRING & POSITIVE MESSAGES to the people.
WHO? We are a creative collective that manifested out of the need to establish a sustainable artistic lifestyle with the greater intention of inspiring a productive change in our environment.
AND THIS IS WHY WE WANT TO PAINT JAMAICA....
The Dilemma that is Downtown Kingston…
•To date, downtown Kingston has often been secluded and associated to inner city violence and tension.
•Prejudiced attitudes towards people living downtown and in inner cities has encouraged a stigmatization of these people as somehow worthless and deserving of their fate, and perpetuating their insecurity.
HOWEVER, in reality… downtown & its inner cities are proud, vibrant & creative communities and share in Jamaica’s rich cultural heritage. Notable figures such as Bob Marley, Chronixx, Dennis Brown, Elephant Man (to name a few) all stem from underpriveleged/stigmatized neighbourhoods.
We believe that there is untapped creative potential
•According to Prime Minister Simpson Miller, “the Creative Economy offers significant economic and development opportunities” and should be fully explored.
•Certain areas of downtown Kingston are rich with historic significance that remains ill appreciated and undocumented (ex: Orange Street).
•Moreover, only 5% of the inner city/downtown population are gang members… what about the remaining 95%*?
Our vision is to transform local living conditions through an artistic intervention, cultural exchange and celebration at once.
Our mission is improving the social environment & visual surroundings of Downtown Kingston and recognizing inner city talent via a collaborative art intervention.
The power of this project lies in:
- helping improve the identity of downtown Kingston and inner city residents through visual surroundings & aesthetics
- reducing the likelihood of crime, unemployment and “unproductive loitering” by engaging residents into a project thereby helping them to redefine themselves
- creating a new landmark which could drive global attention and enhancing Kingston’s reputation
This is an EXCITING project and we would LOVE if you could HELP US MAKE IT A REALITY!