New York Road Runners (NYRR), founded in 1958, has grown from a local running club to a global champion of the running movement. NYRR is best known for its world-class events—including the famed TCS New York City Marathon. What distinguishes NYRR is its year-round commitment to its mission to Help and Inspire People through Running via free community-based programs.
Last year, NYRR provided low cost and free running and fitness programs to over 200,000 kids throughout the United States in over 700 schools and community centers. Mighty Milers, NYRR’s marquee national youth program, is an incentive-based running program for kids of all fitness levels in grades pre-K through 8. It's designed to get kids moving, fight obesity and promote wellness. Participation in Mighty Milers also helps kids build their self-esteem and learn to make and reach personal goals. During the 2012-13 school year, over 125,000 youth participated in Mighty Milers collectively running 4.5 million miles.
Here’s how your donation today can help support NYRR’s Mighty Miler’s Program:
- $25 covers the cost for one child to participate in Mighty Milers for a year
- $100 buys two pairs of running shoes for kids in Mighty Milers
- $300 provides t-shirts as incentives for 100 students in Mighty Milers
- $500-$750 will fund a class of Mighty Milers (approximately 20-30 kids per class)
- $2,500 underwrites the Mighty Milers program for a small school or community center, approximately 100 students
For more information about Mighty Milers or NYRR’s other youth programs, please contact YouthPrograms.Outreach@nyrr.org or 646-758-9670.