NFXF Let 'Em Know 5k
FUNDRAISER SET UP DEADLINE: Jul 18, 2013
<== Slideshow! Watch the video! Take a look at the T-shirt!
To raise awareness about Fragile X! We need your help to “Let ’Em Know” and make that happen! This isn’t about how fast or slow you are, instead it’s about what you can do to raise awareness and “Let ’Em Know!” We’ve created what we think is the perfect virtual event and tips for success to help you raise awareness and money for Fragile X from anywhere in the world!
What does a virtual run/walk mean?
Basically, it means you can complete it anywhere, anytime beginning July 1 and ending on July 31, 2013. You can run or walk the 3.1 miles (5K) all at once, over the course of a week or the entire month. This is on the honor system—you do not have to report or verify your miles! All participants who register ($25 entry fee) by June 10 will receive a custom-designed, collectible athletic race shirt and (the first of many!) NFXF Let ’Em Know 5K race bib!
Not interested in running, walking or strolling but still want to participate for a chance at one of our great prizes? We have you covered! You can create a fundraising page for no cost and still be entered in the prize drawings! (Sorry, though—only run/walk entrants receive the official race shirt and bib.)
Did we mention… we have prizes?!?!
We have two Grand Prizes* this year: one for the most money raised and one for the greatest number of donations. Each winner will receive one free individual conference registration and two-night hotel expenses (room and tax) to the 14th International Fragile X Conference in Garden Grove, California (July 2014)!! (Winners not attending the conference will receive a $250 Amazon Gift Card instead.) Each individual personal fundraising page under the NFXF “Let ’Em Know” event on Crowdrise from now through July 31 will automatically be eligible to win.
Want more great news? Your fundraising efforts will be doubled!!
Thanks to a very generous one-time challenge opportunity by two very special donors, Al and Melissa Blount, every dollar you raise during the NFXF Let ’Em Know 5K event for National Fragile X Awareness month will be matched dollar for dollar!!* So for every $100 you raise, the NFXF will receive a matching $100. (And you don’t even have to double how much you run or walk!) How easy and awesome is that?!?!
Update: Al and Melissa have pledged another $5,000 to the challenge grant and Dave and Joy Justus have pledged another $10,000 bringing our new matching challenge total to $40,000!
Here is what you need to do to get started today… the sooner, the better!
- Register ($25 fee) so you can receive your NFXF Let ’Em Know 5K race shirt and race bib by choosing the “JOIN the event” tab (direct link) under the NFXF Let ’Em Know 5K event and then the “register” option! Don’t forget to create your personal fundraising page after you register by clicking “Start your own fundraiser!”
- Participants must register by June 10 to be guaranteed a shirt; those who do will receive their shirt by July 1.
- Registrants after June 10 are not guaranteed a race shirt (you will still receive the event bib).
- Create your own fundraising page by choosing “Join the event” and then “Start your fundraiser” to set up your personal fundraising page (direct link) as part of this event and send it to everyone you know!
- (Choose this option if you are fundraising only and not registering to receive the event shirt/bib.)
- Set a goal! A $100 goal is as simple as ten $10 donations from friends! A $500 goal can be met with twenty-five $20 donations from friends! Think big and encourage your family and friends to support your efforts!! You may even win our grand prize!!
- Have a photo taken while you are out running or walking in your official NFXF Let ’Em Know 5K race shirt with your race bib!
- Share your progress on social media networks—photos, progress reports on how far you have run or walked, and of course, your fundraising updates!
- Use the hashtag #NFXFLetEmKnow on Instagram and Twitter.
- Complete your run or walk by July 31, 2013.
Please check with your doctor regarding your ability to physically participate if you have not regularly exercised in the last 12 months prior to the NFXF Let ‘Em Know 5K. They will probably suggest that there is no time like the present to start getting active! But be smart, don’t stress and stay healthy—we want you running or walking for Fragile X for a long time to come!
All donations to your personal fundraising page benefiting the NFXF on the Crowdrise are tax-deductible!
*Matching funds are limited to total of $25,000.