Contributions to the Mt. Nebo Fund are used to underwrite leadership development training events for metro Detroit residents. MOSES' leadership trainings equip ordinary citizens with the skills they need to participate effectively in public life.
MOSES believes it is especially important to empower marginalized communities to exercise their civic rights. The Mt. Nebo Fund ensures that everyone can participate in leadership training, regardless of socio-economic status.
Your donation will directly support a neighbor's personal leadership development. Our communities are only as strong as our leaders!
Civic participation can seem intimidating - we want to create positive change in our communities, but how do we start? MOSES' leadership trainings lay out a clear path to effective civic engagement, providing leaders with time-tested strategies to:
- Use one-on-one conversations and public forums to identify issues of concern to the broader community
- Organize likeminded neighbors around a particular issue of concern ("base-building")
- Secure the attention of public officials, decision-makers and/or law enforcement
- Make specific, concrete demands of these individuals
- Follow up with decision makers to hold them accountable to their commitments
- Use available resources to raise awareness of the issue (i.e. the press, social media, public actions, etc)
- Build coalitions of likeminded organizations to acheive change on a broader level
MOSES is an affiliate of the Gamaliel Foundation (www.gamaliel.org), an international leadership training institute. Gamaliel mentors local faith-based organizations in diverse communities, helping them build capacity and strength in numbers. Many of the leadership training opportunities MOSES offers are led by Gamaliel's experienced organizers, some of whom have worked as community organizers for decades.
MOSES leaders have impacted hundreds of local and national policies; directed millions of dollars in funding toward community benefit projects; and trained hundreds of clergy and lay leaders to be powerful forces for social justice and equity.