BENEFITING: Go2 Foundation For Lung Cancer
ORGANIZER: Go2 Foundation For Lung Cancer
EVENT DATE: Jun 16, 2013
Thank you for visiting my fundraising site! :-)
I run to honor those who have lost their struggle and to honor those who are currently struggling to fight cancer. Please support me by donating to an amazing charity that is working hard to increase survival rates. I understand there are so many charities and appreciate your contribution. I have a big heart and know you do too!
I am thrilled to advocate for the Lung Cancer Foundation which was created by my childhood friend's mother and lung cancer survivor, Bonnie J. Addario. The foundation has developed an innovative model to accelerate the discovery of early detection methods and to improve clinical outcomes through scientific and technological advancements, focused on the immediate goal of increasing survival rates and providing hope to those suffering with lung cancer.
The Truth about Lung Cancer:
* Each year in the U.S. alone more than 220,000 people are diagnosed with lung cancer and approximately 157,000 die of the disease.
* Lung cancer is the #1 cancer killer. It kills more people than breast, prostate, colon, liver, melanoma, and kidney cancers combined.
* Federal and private underfunding of lung cancer research has kept its survival rate at 15.5%, as low as it was in 1971. Whereas the breast cancer survival rate has increased to 98% and prostate cancer to 99%.
* For every $14 spent on breast cancer in America, $1 is spent on lung cancer. Note: dollars spent are based on mortality rates
* Lung cancer surpassed breast cancer as the #1 cancer killer of women in 1987. Currently twice as many women in the United States die from lung cancer than breast cancer.
* Lung cancer is the leading cause of cancer death for both men and women, accounting for 30 percent of all cancer deaths.
Thank you so much for your time, love and support!