BENEFITING: Huntington's Disease Society of America, Inc.
EVENT DATE: Nov 06, 2016
Hello family and friends,
Thank you for visiting my donation page and for helping me raise funds for the Huntington’s Disease Society of America (HDSA). This race is especially meaningful to me and my family because Huntington’s Disease (HD) has, unfortunately, been a huge part of our family history as far back as we are able to trace.
HD is a disease that is passed down in families from one generation to the next and so, it has taken many of my family members. It is also a disease that causes slow degeneration, and among many things it affects mood, movement, executive functioning and eventually speech and swallowing. As a result, it not only affects those with the disease, but deeply affects those who are left living. My mom, my sisters, and I were lucky to have not inherited the disease, but we continue to watch our loved ones suffer around us.
As I train for this race, I am filled with emotion, determination, and energy. I have so many people I am running for and so much hope for a better future for the individuals and families affected by HD in the years to come.
This is my pledge as I run the NYC Marathon:
- I will run in memory of my Uncle Jim , who died too young, at age 51 from HD (pictured above at his daughter's wedding).
- I will run in support of my mother, who is the strongest person I know. She has lived through the deaths of her grandfather, her mother, and her own brother, all due to HD, and continues to fight to break the terrible cycle of disease.
- I will run for my cousins who lost their father when they were just teenagers and young adults.
- I will run for all those in my family who have suffered the loss of their loved ones and those who could potentially be affected by HD in the future.
- I will run to raise funds for HDSA, so we can work toward finding better treatment options and ultimately, a cure for HD. Presently there is no cure, but with many new research trials currently in progress, we are close to being able to slow the progression of the degeneration.
I hope you will support me, my family, and HDSA in raising funds to fight for those with Huntington’s Disease. There is HOPE but we need money to make it happen. A small donation by many is the key to successful fundraising so please consider donating, no matter the amount. Thank you!
If you would like to read more about Huntington’s Disease, please click this link: http://hdsa.org/what-is-hd/
If you would like more information about HDSA, please visit their site: http://hdsa.org/about-hdsa/
and specifically about recent research: http://hdsa.org/hd-research/a-leader-in-global-hd-research/