BENEFITING: Boston Medical Center
ORGANIZER: Boston Medical Center
EVENT: 2016 Boston Marathon
EVENT DATE: Apr 18, 2016
Dear Friends and Family,
I am proudly running for Team BMC in the Boston Marathon this April.
Boston Medical Center is an important institution with a powerful mission to provide exceptional and consistently accessible health services to all. BMC serves more low income patients than any MA hospital – half of all patients earn less than $22,000 and most have at least one job!
I really appreciate your support for this challenge by making a donation for the benefit of BMC. With 65% of the hospital’s patients representing Boston’s neighborhoods with greatest levels of mortality and health disparities, every dollar makes a difference.
Thank you in advance for your support and generosity.
Please see below for more information on BMC for you to understand our mission!
- BMC’s unique role as the largest safety net hospital in New England with 150,000 low-income patients/year
- BMC is the largest and busiest provider of trauma and emergency services in New England with over 130,000 emergency room visits last year
- BMC treats high volume of low-income pediatric patients, with close to 50,000 outpatient visits and 25,000 pediatric primary care visits
- Recent surveys suggests that of BMC families: almost 30% report not having enough food in their home that day, close to 40% have trouble paying their utility bills, and over 70% want help affording their housing or help moving
- BMC Food Pantry feeds 7,500 people per month – first hospital-based food pantry in the US and by far the largest
- The Child Witness to Violence Program offers trauma-focused counseling and advocacy to children and their families who have been exposed to violence