BENEFITING: National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI of Miami)
ORGANIZER: THE IRONMAN FOUNDATION
EVENT: YOUR JOURNEY, YOUR CAUSE
On Sunday, July 26, 2015, I will be competing in Ironman Lake Placid to raise awareness and "Stop the Stigma" surrounding an illness that affects over 40 million US adults, but many are reluctant to discuss publicly: Mental Illness.
Some Difficult Statistics
The numbers are astonishing:
- Approximately 1 in 5 adults in the US suffer from mental illness each year.
- Approximately 1 in 25 adults in the US suffer from a serious mental illness each year.
- Mental Illness (and particularly Depression, the most common disorder) is among the leading causes of disability and suicide in the US
- It is a statistical certainty that you know someone who is affected by mental illness -- their battle just may be private.
These numbers dwarf the task before me at Ironman Lake Placid:
- 2.4 Mile Open Water Swim. . . then a 112 Mile Bike Ride . . . concluding with a 26.2 Mile Marathon.
- My first Full Ironman Triathlon . . . and my first Full Marathon . . . and on one of the most difficult Ironman courses
- The race occurs in the Adirondack Mountains and must be completed in one day, within 17 hours, on Sunday July 26th between 6:30 a.m. and 12:00 midnight
Yet, there are some similarities -- both Mental Illness and Ironman Triathlon represent an arduous and difficult road that, encouragingly, can be successfully navigated with the support of loved ones.
Sadly, due to the social stigma surrounding mental illness, those who suffer often suffer privately, in silence. For similar reasons, sufferers and loved ones often do not know where to turn for helpful and confidential resources that can provide much needed education and assistance.
The National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI)
NAMI is the nation's largest nonprofit, grassroots mental health education, advocacy, and support network to help Americans affected by mental illness.
There are nearly 1,000 NAMI State Organizations and Affiliates that provide an array of confidential and free support and education programs locally. Importantly, programs exist for both those suffering from mental illness and their loved ones seeking to provide assistance.
Your Support to "Stop the Stigma"!
The local chapter in my community, NAMI of Miami (www.NamiOfMiami.org), will be the beneficiary of the funds raised so it can continue to provide free support programs. I would appreciate your support.
Regardless if you are in a position to give financial support, I would appreciate if you take a moment to help "Stop the Stigma" by viewing www.NamiOfMiami.org and forward the website and this request to someone who might benefit from NAMI's programs.
For friends outside of Miami, you can find your local NAMI affiliate here: https://www.nami.org/Find-Your-Local-NAMI
Follow My Progress on Sunday, July 26th -- Ironman Race Day!
I am attempting Ironman Lake Placid to honor both those who suffer from mental illness and their loving caregivers who keep "putting one foot in front of the other" in a difficult battle to succesfully reach their own proverbial "finish line."
If you would like to follow my journey on race day, the race will be streamed live on the internet from 6:30 a.m. (race start) to 12:00 a.m. midnight, EST (race finish deadline). Go to www.Ironman.com and click on the live coverage links for "Ironman Lake Placid". To track my individual progress, also click on "Athlete Tracker" and enter my race bib number: 2090.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT!