I am an alum of the Scholastic Art & Writing Awards. My high school creative writing teacher used to submit my poems to contests without telling me. She knew that I was shy and would never submit them myself. I still remember our excitement when we learned I was a Scholastic Award winner.
I'm now a professional visual artist, working with text, poetry and handcrafts. I remain connected to the Scholastic community, and am grateful for their support of my early work, and their advocacy for and support of young artists and writers throughout the country. In honor of the next generation of artists and writers, I'm participating in this fundraising effort.
Here are some ways you can help:
Your donation—in any amount—directly supports programs and scholarships for creative teens. The Alliance for Young Artists & Writers is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization and needs you today.
- $10 – Students, pay it forward! Cover the cost of two peer's entries to the Scholastic Art & Writing Awards.
- $25 underwrites five entry fees for low-income students to participate in the Scholastic Awards.
- $50 helps us bring student work to new audiences at a special reading.
- $100 lets us continue to connect alumni with exciting opportunities, like residencies!
- $250 places mentor texts into the hands of two classroom’s worth of students;
- $500 awards a Best-in-Grade Scholarship for one student.
- $1,000 goes towards publishing an annual anthology of student work. You’re published!
- $1500 sends a Gold Key-winning low-income artist or writer to a top tier summer program!
- $2,000 supports a FREE writing workshop for teens.
- $5,000 brings an exhibition of student work to a new city.
- $10,000 provides a Gold Medal Portfolio Scholarship to one college-bound high school senior!