Melissa Wright via Crowdrise
August 05, 2011
My 1 degree:
Cancer has affected my life in many ways. I lost my grandma to melanoma, a cancer that if detected early is treatable, when she was diagnosed it was already stage 5. She underwent treatment and eight years later died from the disease when it spread.
What do I know about early detection? Through yearly screenings I was diagnosed as having precancerous lesions on my cervix and underwent a procedure to remove those cells. Now I know how essential taking care of my body is. If I had chose to skip this yearly exam the lesions could have turned into cancer.
Early detection saves lives!!
Fran Drescher wrote -
There is a great unifier in the U.S. and it’s waaaay bigger than the 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon. It’s cancer. We believe we are all 1 Degree of Cancer. Why? Because last year, an estimated 1.4 million new cancer cases were diagnosed and over half a million Americans died. How could you possibly not have a husband, wife, parent, sister, friend, peer or coworker affected with the disease? It almost seems impossible today.
WE BELIEVE LATE STAGE DIAGNOSIS CAN BE STOPPED. HERE'S HOW:
1) EARLY DETECTION - 90% of people who detect cancer early enough survive. So we must educate ourselves and take control of our bodies, and partner with our doctors. This message is especially important to WOMEN, who are the caregivers in almost every home and the gatekeeper of health to their families. Our mission is to make sure every woman, from every income bracket, is educated and has access to screening.
2) DONATE JUST $10 FOR EACH OF YOUR 1 DEGREES (Really, just $10!) so that we can make sure every woman across the nation is educated and has access to early screening. Through our Early Detection Fran Van program, we are partnering with local screening services to help low income, uninsured women receive the screenings they need. And your dollars will help us do that.
3) JOIN MY TEAM and get the word out to everyone you know so this information and fundraising effort go crazy viral. Let's use the Obama e-campaign model to tackle cancer once and for all. A little bit goes a really long way if the number of people getting involved grows and grows (and grows)!!
4) SHARE YOUR STORY - Who’s your 1 degree? How has cancer impacted you? Use your words, photos and videos so people can really put a face to this epidemic and can't turn away.
* * * OUR GOAL is start with 5 'Fran Vans' at approx. $40,000 each and grow from there. Early Detection Fran Van program will get "rolling" first in Los Angeles and New York (and then beyond)! I will regularly send updates of our progress, so keep checking back here...and let's show the world we can pull of this first critical phase of the effort off together - under an incredibly passionate and shared mission - one city a at time!